Below are the rules and regulations that govern Massachusetts Problem Animal Control (PAC) Agents

                    Home    Trapping & Removal Svcs.    MetroWest Towns Served    PAC Regulations   About Us    Contact Us   

About Problem Animal Control Agents

These agents may harass, take, and destroy, or may release or liberate on site as stipulated in 321 CMR 2.14 (23) non-domesticated reptiles, birds, and mammals the actions of which have or are endangering the life and health of humans or domestic animals; damaging the property of a person, obstructing the reasonable and comfortable use of property by the owner or tenant thereof or otherwise producing such material annoyance, inconvenience, and discomfort that can reasonably be presumed to result in damage or hurt to persons or their property. The mere presence of wildlife does not constitute damage or injury.

PAC agents are authorized only in the handling of skunk, muskrat, raccoon, weasel, red fox, gray fox, porcupine, Norway rat, mice, voles, red, gray and flying squirrel, opossum, chipmunk, rabbit, woodchuck, snapping turtle, moles, pigeon, house sparrow, starling and certain species of bats.

Coyotes may be handled by licensed PAC agents provided the PAC agent has successfully completed a MassWildlife training and certification program specifically pertaining to coyotes. PAC agents must also follow certain reporting requirements after taking or attempting to take a coyote. This provision will become effective in 2009 when the training program is developed.

No other animals may be captured or handled by PAC agents.

Individuals with damage caused by beaver flooding must contact their local Board of Health for a determination and necessary permitting. Damage caused by migratory birds and other birds such as woodpeckers, which are protected under both state and federal law, require a permit from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (413) 253-2403.

PAC permitees act on behalf of the landowner and are constrained by the same regulations regarding capture, release, transport and euthanasia (e.g. Animals captured by PAC agents may not be moved and released on other property). Fees will be charged for PAC services. If you as a property owner call on a PAC agent, he or she should not only handle your immediate situation but also provide information and suggestions which will prevent future wildlife problems.

Click here for additional information: Mass Division of Wildlife Information